Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The First Year Teacher

Don't get me wrong, I am NO expert. However, I recently finished my first year of teaching and I would love to share some insight for those of you who are about to experience yours, already did, or are in just need of a good laugh. 

There were some good times, bad times, success, failures, tears, smiles, and most importantly laughs. The thing I came to realize is that I actually had no idea what I was doing! My years of college, student teaching, and long-term subbing jobs did not adequately prepare me for what was about to come. The reassuring thing is that the experienced teachers didn't know what they were doing either.

Sure, some of them really knew their content and others knew how to fill out the excessive amounts of paper work that needed to be done; but the thing about working with students is that every year is different, every class is different, and every student is different. So what worked one year doesn't mean its necessarily going to work the following. Or what works in my first period doesn't mean its going to work the second. 

So you might be wondering; do teachers ever get this teaching thing figured out? The answer is no. Teachers are always learning, always growing, always trying to figure out the best method and balance of learning, laughing, and classroom management. 

So have no fear first year teachers! Every first day of school feels like the first year again. We are all in the same boat! When you walk into that room full of faces on the first day don't be alarmed if you realize you have no clue what you are going to do, because if all other teachers are being honest, they don't either ;)

* Side note: prepare a powerpoint! Those things are life savers full of information to share in case you truly have a brain fart and don't know what you are about to do! 

More tips, tricks, and stories to come! 

 photo Signature_zps758aa3db.png

No comments:

Post a Comment