Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Homemade Tortilla Shells

It's no surprise that I LOVE food! Especially Mexican food! It's always my go to cheat meal! I love the chips, the dips, margs, cheese! But man, it sure doesn't fit into most meal plans! The other issue is that I am gluten sensitive and I have some issues when I eat too much gluten! But those dang corn shells fall apart the second you move them!



So I found this recipe online and tweaked it to make it my own! So here ya go! Flour tortillas for those of us who can't eat the store bought ones!

Ingredients:
1 C Almond Flour 
1 3/4 C Tapioca Flour (Starch)  
1 tsp Xanthan Gum 
3 TBS honey 
2 tsp salt 
1/2 C warm water 

Directions:
1. In a Kitchen Aid mixer or mixing bowl mix together Almond flour, Tapioca flour, Xanthan Gum, honey, salt in a bowl. Gradually add in warm water.
2. You may need to add more Tapioca flour or water depending on consistency! It shouldn't be too sticky and it shouldn't crumble. Once you get it into a nice ball store with a wet paper towel covering.
3. Break the ball into 6-8 small balls. 
4. Flatten each smaller ball and then roll to desired size. Leave about 1/4 inch think
5. Put cast iron skillet on medium low heat. Place tortilla on skilled. Let it cook for about 45 seconds on the first side. You should see bubble start to form. Then flip and do about 30 seconds on the other side. 
6. Once done, store in air tight container or aluminum foil :) Good for a few days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment